Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Monkey Bread

I made a goal for myself to start cooking more for my family. I hate mornings so much that we have been a cold cereal family. We all enjoy it so I see no harm in it! But I also enjoy a nice hot breakfast. Breakfast foods are my favorite. I have started making more of an effort to get my family a warm breakfast in the morning on a regular basis. My son asks if he can just have cereal, but I'm sure one day he'll appreciate it.

Years ago I went to a Taste of Home Cooking show. It was pretty fun and I picked up a few recipes. One was for monkey bread. I know there are so many recipes out there for monkey bread and they all have small variations, but I want to show you how easy it is to put together so you can have it even on a school day.

What you need:
25 Rhodes Bake N Serve White Dinner Rolls, thawed and cut in half (There will be 50 pieces)
½ Stick Butter, melted
Cinnamon & Sugar, You'll need about 1/2 cup sugar and add in the cinnamon until you have the flavor you like.

½ Stick Butter, melted
½ c Brown Sugar

I started the night before. Coat each piece of the bread dough using one half of the melted butter and then roll in your cinnamon sugar mixture. Place in a greased Bundt pan. You don't have to arrange it fancy at all, just plop them in. The only science is that you want the dough distributed evenly in the pan. Cover with greased plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight.

The next morning I had my alarm set about an hour early so I could pull the pan out of the fridge so it could finish rising. I immediately went back to sleep for the remaining hour! When it was actually go time I turned the oven on to 350. Once it reached temperature I baked the bread for about 35 minutes. Halfway through I mixed the second half stick of butter and brown sugar and poured it over the top of the bread and then let it finish baking.

After it is done baking place a plate on top of the pan and flip it over. I did it right after it came out of the oven. I don’t know if or how waiting for the bread to cool would affect it.

This was the first time I have made this for our kids. To say they loved it would be an understatement. Our super picky six year old was leery because the top was a nice dark brown but once it was out of the pan and you could see the ooey gooey goodness he was all over it. Our four year old enjoying pulling it the pieces off herself; that is part of the fun after all! They both enjoyed the name and liked that I called them my monkeys. Also, they were both pumped when they came home from school and saw there was a ton leftover so they could have it for a snack with their friends.  I think it is just like a cinnamon roll but a thousand times easier.

No comments: