Tuesday, August 28, 2012

French Onion Soup

This recipe is very quick to whip up at a moments notice. I usually have everything I need for it.

What you need:
Beef Broth (I make my own using beef bouillon)
1 Large Yellow Onion (Any sweet onion really)
2 T Butter
Worcestershire Sauce
Salt and Pepper

Slice your onion
Saute the onion in your pot with the butter
Add beef broth. The best part is you can make as much or as little as you want. When I make it for me and the hubs I use one onion and about five cups of broth.
Add a couple shakes of Worcestershire sauce. Be careful it has a very strong flavor, don't overdo it.
Use the salt and pepper to taste.
Let the soup simmer for at least a half hour to let the onion flavor incorporate with the broth. You can even leave it in a slow cooker for several hours.


My favorite part is the bread that goes on top. Slice some French bread and toast both sides in the oven using your broiler. I just like to toast it until it turns crispy, not necessarily brown. Once it's crisp melt a piece of Swiss cheese on top. Put your bread right on top of the soup.


Voila-Delicious!

No comments: