Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Grilled Asparagus


I love fresh asparagus. I think it is candy in a vegetable form, now if I can only convince my kids of that! I've heard of people grilling asparagus before, but I never tried it. Let me tell you, I will never steam it again. I searched to see how most people grill it to get a feel of where to start, here is how I grilled it.

What you need:
1 bundle of fresh asparagus (I only buy it when it is thin. I do NOT like the thick spears.)
Olive Oil
Salt
Parmesan Cheese

Start off by washing the spears in lukewarm water. Next break off the bottoms. If you've never done this hold both ends of each spear and bend; the tough, fibrous base should snap right off. It is usually at least an inch; I've had up to three inches. (Don't you wish you didn't have to pay for the crappy/useless part of produce when it's by the pound?) I spread the asparagus spears in a baking dish a 9x13 or 9x9 or whatever you like it doesn't matter. Drizzle olive oil over the spears just about 2 T; gently roll the spears around to coat them all. Sprinkle a little salt and Parmesan cheese on and roll around again. The salt and cheese are just for flavor so do as much or little as you like. I did not use freshly grated cheese, just the Kraft "shake" cheese in the green bottle.

To grill place on a warm grill that is set to medium heat. Lay the asparagus out in a single row. This way they all get the flavor of the grill. Shut the lid and let cook. After about four minutes turn them all and let cook another three or so minutes, basically until they are warm/hot.

We had this last night and it paired amazingly with this recipe found on...you guessed it Pinterest. My semi picky husband who hasn't enjoyed some of my finds loved it. The pasta is definitely not low calorie or low fat but oh so good. Plus, don't vegetables cancel out fat?

Have a recipe you want me to try out? Send it to shauntel122@hotmail.com

No comments: