Tuesday, August 28, 2012

German Pancakes


I remember the first time I ate a German Pancake, it was four years ago. A neighbor called to borrow a bag, yes a whole bag, of powdered sugar. Curious why she needed the whole thing so early in the morning she told me she was making German Pancakes. Half jokingly I said I'd trade her the powdered sugar for some breakfast. Sure enough when she came over there was a plate full of the puffy delicious pancakes.

I never asked for the recipe, while I should have, but not too long after there was one in a magazine my husband was reading. I ripped it out right when I knew he was done reading. It has become a family favorite. Don't judge, but I totally eat an entire pan by myself. I love them that much!


I was so amazed at how pufffy it got the first time I made these. It is always fun to see!
 What you need:
2-3 T Butter (I use 2 trying to make myself feel better. I also prefer salted butter.)
2 Eggs, beaten
1/2 c Flour
1/2 c Milk
1 t Sugar
1/4 t Salt

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
Put the butter in a glass pie pan and stick in the oven until the butter is melted, remove
Whisk the remaining ingredients together
Pour the batter in the hot pie pan and return to the oven immediately
Bake 18-20 minutes, until puffy and browned on the outside

Our family likes different toppings: Whipped Cream, Strawberry Jam, Raspberry Jam, Powdered Sugar, Maple Syrup etc.

No comments: