Thursday, September 25, 2008

Pot Pie

I love this for one simple reason, you can make one big pie for everyone to share, or you can make each person their own. If you want to make everyone their own, you need to buy individual tin pie pans. They are inexpensive and even better, disposable! Or you can use one regular size pie pan or a deeper round dish. This does take a little time, not bad though, and really worth it.

Ingredients:
Cooked meat (Beef, Chicken, Turkey) I usually use boiled chicken, 1 breast for 3 people unless you like it more meaty
Gravy: You can buy the packet gravy and make it according to the directions, I really like the bottled gravy. It's made by Heinz. You only need 1 bottle or 1 packet
Potatoes & Carrots Boil until tender
Peas & Corn Buy these frozen. You don't need two full bags, so save the rest for another dinner
Green Beans: Frozen or canned

Obviously you don't have to use everything, just what you like

For the crust: It is just a pie crust with butter flavored shortening
2 1/4 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup butter flavored shortening
8-10 Tbs cold water

Stir flour and salt
Using a pastry blender cut in shortening until pieces are pea sized
Add water 1 Tbs at a time until flour mixture is moist
Divide in half and roll in two ball

You now have to decide if you want crust on the bottom and top or just on top. I like both...a lot.

Roll out both dough balls. Your dough should be about a 1/4 inch thick
If you are doing a bottom crust, roll the crust onto your pan
Put your filling in (Meat and veggies)
Pour gravy on top
Add your top crust
Cut the edges of the crust to be about 1/2 inch hanging over the edge
Fold under and pinch closed.
Bake at 375 degrees 35-40 minutes until crust is golden.
If the edge starts to get dark, put foil around just the edge.

This is a good dish because it has everything all in one; meat, veggie, starch!

3 comments:

tookiecramer said...

My definition of an easy dinner does not include making pie crust - I do that twice a year, Thanksgiving and...., well OK once a year! But I will try your pot pie recipe sometime when I am feeling ambitious and bored. Otherwise, I'm excited to try some of your other recipes. They look yummy.

Shauntel said...

When I said easy, I meant easy in the sense of everything else I guess!!! It is a lot of work, but I love it! Thanksgiving is a good time to make pie crust. Stick to that once a year! :)

Nichole said...

Mmmmm this sounds so good...I'm not much of a cooker but you have inspired me!