Monday, February 9, 2009

A Lesson in Italian-Gnocchi

So a long time ago I said I was going to post this recipe. Here is finally is. They are called gnocchi, you say it like this: Yo-Key. Typically this pasta is made with potatoes. I learned from a little old Italian man that there is a simpler way that tastes just as good.

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 tub of ricotta cheese (the smaller size) I was told I said ricotta wrong here is the proper way Ri-Coat-a
A few shakes of Salt and Garlic Powder
Grated Parmesan Cheese (Fresh is better)

So you add all the stuff together, minus the cheese
Knead it until it forms a dough ball
Add enough cheese to cover the top of the dough maybe a little more if you like it, I do.
Knead in the cheese

Now take little sections of it and roll them out like a snake, they should be the thickness of you little finger
Cut them into 3/4" sections
This part is kind of tricky to explain. You're going to take a fork and turn it around so the curve is out. Roll the pasta down the for to create ridges. This will help hold sauce on it.
Cool in fridge for about 10 minutes.

Add to boiling water
Cook about 5-10 minutes, or until they are floating at the top
You should test one to be sure it is cooked how you like

Top with marinara or Alfredo sauce. We like to use the pork marinara sauce I posted previously.

No comments: