Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday the 13th... Steak Bites with Bloddy Mary Dipping Sauce

I wanted to be a little festive today after all it is Friday the 13th. Ooohhh Scary! I searched for freaky foods and scary foods. Of course the majority was for Halloween. I didn't want pumpkin or bat type stuff but I did find this recipe here. It's from Rachel Ray, I don't love her like most people do. I think she's OK, but I hate how she says EVOO and when she says sammie, my husband turns the channel. Dumb I know, but I think she's obnoxious. She does make some tasty stuff though. Enough of my opinions, moving to the recipe already!

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup vodka (We don't drink and I don't have vodka. I hope it will work without if my friend doesn't have any. If you don't drink either but have access, the alcohol will burn off. I guess it's for the flavor.)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
1 cup tomato sauce
1 rounded tablespoon prepared horseradish
Salt and pepper
1 1/3 pounds beef sirloin cut into large bite-sized pieces, 1 by 2 inches
Steak seasoning blend or coarse salt and black pepper
6 to 8 inch bamboo skewers

Heat a small saucepan over medium heat.
Add oil and onions and saute 5 minutes.
Add vodka and reduce by 1/2.
Add Worcestershire, hot sauce, tomato sauce and horseradish.
Stir to combine the dipping sauce and return the sauce to a bubble.
Add salt and pepper and adjust seasonings.

Heat nonstick skillet over high heat.
Coat meat bites lightly in oil.
Season with steak seasoning blend or salt and pepper, to taste.
Cook the meat until caramelized all over, about 2 minutes on each side.

Transfer dipping sauce to a small dish and place at the center of a serving platter.
Surround the dip with meat bites and set several bamboo "stakes" or skewers along side meat.

Now here's the deal. I really like steak cooked on the BBQ. I like that flavor...a lot! So, that's how I am going to cook mine. I will cut the steak first and put a piece of foil down on the grill to put the meat on so it won't fall through.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I MADE YOUR BROWNIE YUMMO'S AND I THINK YOU NEED TO PUT THEM ON HERE! LOL, MY LIL NEIGHBOR GIRL HAS BEEN TO MY HOUSE EVERY NIGHT SINCE I MADE THEM TO EAT SOME...YEAH LESS FOR ME TO EAT...

JULE'S

Rass said...

I just have to tell you that the pioneer woman has THE BEST recipe for steak bites. We make them with Chicken or steak at least once a week. Much easier. Was this helpful or annoying?